So, while my aunt and uncle and little cousin were safely tucked in a plane on the way back to California, my brother arrived yesterday from the same state. There're two of us residing in the third floor once again.
Back when my siblings still lived here, I have to admit that there were many times that I wished I were an only child. After all, I'm the youngest, so I often was the butt of their jokes. There were many times when I wished they would move out so that I could have peace and quiet finally.
Well, I've had that chance of being an only child for, what?--six years now? And I'll have it again once my brother goes back to California on January 5. And I've come to see things from the point of view of those only children who dream of having siblings.
As they say, it's easier to see the value of what you have when they're taken away from you. Now that I'm an "only child", I finally know how it is to wish for a sibling, someone to talk to, someone to take my side and back me up when my parents and I are at odds. That's probably why my sister and I are probably closer now than we were back when we shared bedrooms. Whenever she's at home, we talk about things we didn't usually talk about before, despite the four-year gap between us. I've come to look forward to her weekends home. Funny, because when we shared bedrooms, we always longed for privacy. But now that we have our own bedrooms, whenever she's home, she usually sleeps in my room.
And though my brother and I are not as close as my sister and I, it's nice to have a big brother again in the next room. It's a nice change from being the only child left living in the nest, with my parents struggling to keep me there.
# Lyn found a missing piece @ 8:14 AM