<body> <body bgcolor=#FFFFFF>

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

 

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was released last Saturday. I got mine last Sunday morning from Darls, who went to my house to go to San Mateo with me. I shouldn't have started on it right away, considering that I had to read my Philosophy articles, plus do some other homeworks. I was even planning to stretch the book throughout the week. That's why I love really thick good books, they don't end too fast. But--what can I say?--I'm weak. I couldn't stop myself. Plus, I went online early that afternoon, and accidentally caught sight of the title of a thread in the BOOK section of the Atenista forums. It was a spoiler--one of the most important spoilers. Stupid poster! I want to kill you!!! I had to finish the book faster because of that. So, by the time I fell asleep, I'd read more than half the book. By last night, I only had a few chapters left, even though I hadn't taken the book to school with me, and I got home at 7:30 pm. I finished the book during the Larawan Festival meeting this morning (I was listening to the meeting! I swear!)

Anyway, my take on the sixth installment (Careful, spoiler ahead! Don't highlight the following if you haven't read the book yet!)

[SPOILER] I liked the book pretty well. Though it's too short, and I still liked PoA and GoF better. But a lot of things happened in HBP, and a lot of questions were answered. I liked the fact that Dumbledore was, um, humanized, instead of letting him go on becoming this impossibly perfect wizard. I mean, here, we see that he does actually make wrong judgements, too. In the previous books, they kept saying how Dumbledore's always made the right judgments, how he trusts Snape, so that means Snape must be a good guy. It made me really believe that Snape was actually one of the "good" guys, even though he was so horrible, but then, here, we see that for the first time, Dumbledore really trusted the wrong guy. (I know Quirrell turned bad too, but he doesn't count, Dumbledore only had him in the school for a year, while Snape had been his trusted staff member for years). It made the story somewhat unexpected because, even though Snape's personality makes you want to make him into a bad guy who's still a Death Eater, you didn't really expect him to be so.

Speaking of Snape, I really didn't expect him to be the Half-Blood Prince. It never even crossed my mind when I read the past five books that he could be anything but pure-blooded. I mean, he's the head of Slytherin, and they always preferred pureboods. Plus, he called Lily Evans in Book 5 a Mudblood--kind of hypocritical considering that he is sort of half a mudblood. And there's also the fact that it seemed wierd that he would proudly call himself a half-blood, even though it was the Prince half he was proud of. Calling yourself half-blood is still admitting that you're not a pureblood. Severus Snape didn't seem to be the type to proudly announce that.

On the other hand, I guess we could have guessed that it was him. I mean, the half-blood prince was so adept in Potions, and Snape was a Potions teacher before Slughorn. And the other spells have to do with hexes and jinxes and even dark arts. Snape has always been obsessed with the dark arts.

As for Malfoy, I guessed before that he would eventually wander into the dark side. It was inevitable. I mean, just look at his personality. But I liked the fact that Rowling didn't make him into such an evil kid, like Tom Riddle. I mean, it made Malfoy more human. A spoiled kid who's been raised among Dark wizards. He's not a hopeless case, there's still some conscience left in him, the way he couldn't kill Dumbledore. And he really only agreed to Voldemort's plans partly because of pride and thirst to prove himself, partly because he wants to avenge his dad, and partly because he was afraid for his family. It makes the readers sympathize a little with him. It makes it more realistic than making him a completely evil kid.

Oh, yeah, now I know which element in Chamber of Secrets is in Half-Blood Prince. The Horcrux. Ginny's diary was an important clue as to what is going to happen in Book 6. It was one of the Horcruxes that Voldemort used to store his split soul in order to remain immortal. Hmm...scary thought. Ripping your soul into little pieces. I don't think even I would want to live forever. Not if I'm the only one who's going to live forever. After watching Tuck Everlasting and reading the Mediator series...ah, no. Imagine having to go through so many "turnovers". Generations of friends outgrowing you and dying on you. That's really sad.

Ahm...another observation: there was a bit too much "snogging" in this book. Sure, we were kind of eased into it by the romance part in the fifth book, but in book 6, it kind of went a little bit too far. Especially considering the fact that most of the previous books didn't dwell too much on it. It only started in Book 4, and not much even in book 4 and 5. In Book 6, they're already talking about "eating each other's face". Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Ron and Hermione--that one was obvious. Everyone expected it, considering how much those two fight. And there was all that drama about Viktor Krum and all. It was obvious they were going to end up liking each other a lot. But maybe Rowling could have made their romance a little less cheesy? Or maybe it's just me. And maybe less "snogging" between Won-Won and Lav-Lav. Too much PDA there, my friends, considering that it was the first time Ron had a girlfriend or even kissed a girl. But over all, their story was very amusing.

Harry and Ginny--hmm...maybe expected in a way, but not really. I mean, on the one hand, Ginny had liked Harry for a long time, and Ron seemed to be pushing Ginny at Harry. Plus, Ginny became more likable ever since she stopped being so obsessed with Harry and got more spunk. But, it was kind of too sudden. I mean, in the fifth book, there wasn't any hint that Harry even thought of the possibility of him and Ginny being more than friends. Suddenly in the sixth book, Harry smells Ginny's perfume in the Amortentia, then, he sees Ginny kissing Dean, and suddenly realizes he likes her a lot. And even the fact that he instantly recognized and accepted his feelings for Ginny was too sudden, too fast. He sees her kissing Dean, and suddenly, he couldn't stop thinking about her? Kind of sad though when they broke up. I mean, geez...can't Ginny keep a boyfriend for more than a few months? In two years, she had 3 boyfriends...none lasted. And too think she's only 15! *shrugs*

And there are too many romances. Ron and Hermione. Harry and Ginny. Bill and Fleur. Lupin and Tonks. Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson. Won-Won and Lav-Lav. Heh. Kulang na lang si Neville at Luna.

As for the ending, the one that had been spoiled for me in the forums: Dumbledore's death in the hands of Snape. Well, as soon as I read that, I already guessed what Draco's mission was, and how it would all end. I mean, Snape promised to take care of Draco and do his mission for him if he had to. Wanted to kill the poster in the forums. But then, there's that telling Chapter title: The Phoenix Lament. It would tell you the ending. And maybe it should have been expected. I mean, up to this point, there's always some adult standing behind Harry, protecting him. I should have expected that there would come a time when he would have to stand up for himself, alone, and face Voldemort. After all, he's the only one who would be able to beat Voldemort. Dumbledore won't be able to protect him forever, and what better time to let Dumbledore step aside, than when Harry comes of age?

But I still haven't digested the fact that the seventh book won't be set much--if at all--in Hogwarts. I mean, I always thought the series has seven installments because of the seven years Hogwarts education. But Harry said at the end of Book 6 that he won't be going back to Hogwarts even if it reopens. I guess it's the only thing that could happen. I mean, what story could there be in Hogwarts now that Dumbledore, Snape and Malfoy are gone? Not much, other than the usual lessons. But still...no Hogwarts in the seventh book? What about Harry's ambition of becoming an Auror? And so many characters would then become just minor characters because they'll all be in school. I wonder what Mrs. Weasley's reaction would be when she finds out that a third son won't be graduating, since Ron plans to go with Harry. And Hermione! The nerd! She'd be dropping out too, wouldn't she?

I want to know how it ends! I can't even begin to tell what will happen in the last book. I mean, yes, I know there's going to be the last battle. And I guess Voldemort will finally die (unless this is one of those annoying series that doesn't end happily. I swear, if Harry, Ron or Hermione dies... or if that rumor about the whole series being all a dream... grr...). But I won't even be able to say that they're going to go back to Hogwarts, be students, prepare for their N.E.W.T.S. Get whatever jobs they want. Go on with Quidditch and all. Nope... I don't know. We'll see.
[/SPOILER]

I can't wait for the seventh book. Please let it not be another two years again! Please let it come out next year!

Comments: Post a Comment

[ the puzzled one ]

    Just another puzzle with
    its pieces still missing.

[ the pieces of my puzzle ]

[ the finished puzzles ]

September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 March 2007 May 2007 June 2007 February 2013 March 2013

[ solve the puzzle ]



Blogskin Designed by: EcNeRaLx Design.. Visit my blog at www.lifepeek.blogspot.com and look at more of my skins at www.blogskins.com.. my username is ecneralx.. thanz a lot!! Enjoy this blogskin!! Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com